Friday, December 30, 2011

Looking ahead to 2012

A year ago I posted on some goals for 2011.  However, about 3 weeks later, we found out we were expecting this little bundle of joy....






and reality set in.  I basically accomplished zero of my goals.  Yep, zero.  I made progress on some, but not enough to say that I was successful.

Although I didn't accomplish any of my initial goals, I am still thankful for 2011 and all of the things that I did accomplish....

  • Giving birth to my 5th child
  • Finishing another year of homeschooling (with minimal tears) and starting a new year with some new curriculum
  • Making my own handsoap, DIY project #1
  • Making homemade comeback sauce, DIY project #2
  • Making homemade laundry detergent, DIY project #3 (definitely my favorite project from 2011)
  • Mastering the art of making homemade, whole grain wheat bread (blog post coming soon)
  • Losing 27 pounds of stubborn baby weight (in addition to the initial 20 pound loss during the first few postpartum weeks)
So, with that in mind, it's now time to look ahead to 2012.  The main thing I am working on this year is to become more goal-oriented, writing down my goals, keeping my goals feasible (at least trying to), and of course, actually accomplishing my goals!  This list is mainly for me to serve as a reminder and keep me on track, but you are welcome to read along and help hold me accountable!  So, here goes....

Reading Goals:  I have never been much of a reader, but I am making an attempt to change that.  I am hoping to manage 1 book per month.  A few of these books I have started, but never finished.  Also, I only own 7 of the books listed, so I'm hoping to find the rest at the library.  In no particular order...
  • Ten P's in a Pod
  • Shepherding a Child's Heart
  • Large Family Logistics
  • The Family
  • The Help
  • Loving the Little Years
  • Raising Maidens of Virtue
  • 31 Days to Clean
  • Read for the Heart
  • Better Love Now
  • Inconceivable
  • Misconception

Education Goals:
  • Reading aloud at least one chapter to kids every school day
  • Utilizing the library more (without incurring overdue fines) and helping Eli learn to use the library
  • Reading board books to two youngest kids everyday
  • Introducing The Chronicles of Narnia on audio

Personal Goals:
  • Weight loss and maintenance - Typical, I know, but I actually started back in October and have successfully lost 27 pounds of baby weight that had accumulated over the past 7 years and 5 babies.  I plan to lose 13 more pounds and then maintain a healthy weight....blog post with more details soon.
  • Run a 5K
  • Wake up (and get out of bed) by 6:30 on weekdays
  • Experiment with and establish some sort of freezer cooking method
  • Attempt more DIY projects, specifically homemade wheat thins, cheeze-its, graham crackers, tortillas, and bubble bath
  • Involve the older kids in more hands-on cooking (and clean-up)
  • Go to bed every night with a clean kitchen (counters, floors, sink, dishes)...ok, I admit, I'm probably pushing it here, but I can try.
  • Flood our home with praise and worship music or sermon podcasts throughout the day
  • Pray through our Christmas cards with the kids every morning at breakfast, one family per day
  • Reducing clutter...clearing out kids' clothes that are outgrown (without a younger sibling to pass down to), old financial statements, toys that are broken, missing pieces or not played with, books that are torn up or not read, and purging my own closet of clothes and shoes that I no longer wear (hopefully because they are too big!)
  • Taking more pictures to document our life and family

Financial Goals:
  • Contribute a pre-determined amount to our children's college funds each quarter
  • Buy dining room (and maybe new living room) furniture
So, in spite of my failure to successfully accomplish any goals this past year, I am now setting out to accomplish more than double for next year!  Type A, overachiever?  I think so.  I already have a good start on many of those listed above, so I am hoping to establish better habits and stick with them more diligently throughout the year (don't we all, every January?). 

    2 comments:

    1. Great goals and just having the list is half the battle. I ditto your filling the home with hymns and praise and sermons this year and also reading to the littles everyday. Lord, give us strength to run the race and bring honor and glory to Your name!!!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Allison, I cannot get over how much weight you've already lost! You go girl! I, too, love the idea of filling my home wit words of truth, not just the music -- that's going to have to be a goal for us, as well! I think you've inspired me to make a list -- even though I was sort of resistant to that this year!

      ReplyDelete