Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Comeback, Guthrie's, Remoulade.....

Call it what you will, but this sauce is awesome!  It goes great on everything from sandwiches and burgers to chicken and seafood and even veggies! 



Guthrie's first introduced me to the famous chicken finger sauce, simply known as "Guthrie's sauce."  I was immediately hooked.  However, all of the Guthrie's in my neck of the woods closed (don't know about T-town), leaving me Zaxby's as a close runner-up in the "sauce" department.  I then discovered that our local Jack's served chicken fingers and one of their sauce choices was known as "comeback sauce." I had never heard it referred to as that, but it was basically the same sauce (apparently originating from Mississippi).  After eating it with chicken for quite awhile, I realized that it is also very similar to the Louisiana  remoulade sauce that I love with fried crawfish or shrimp.  I've also been known to dip fried pickles in it (shhh!).  Although I haven't tried it, I imagine fried green tomatoes (and fried green BLTs), asparagus and broccoli would also be fabulous with it.

In my not so professional opinion, it is a spicy Thousand Island minus the pickle relish....and I now have the recipe (and a jar in the refrigerator)!

To make this divine dipping sauce, you will need:

1 cup Mayonnaise
1/4 cup chili sauce
1/4 cup ketchup
1 tsp mustard (Dijon or creole is also acceptable)
2 tsp worcestershire sauce
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp Tabasco sauce
1/4 cup olive oil
Juice from 1 lemon (not pictured because I didn't have lemons or lemon juice, and I was determined to make this sauce TODAY)

Mix all ingredients together, until it looks like this.....

You can go ahead and dip your finger to taste it now, but it will taste even better after 24 hours, once the flavors have really bonded.

The recipe makes approximately 1 pint of sauce, easy to store in the refrigerator in a Mason jar, but I had a cute penguin jar leftover from maple syrup a year or two ago, so the following is now resting (and bonding) comfortably in my refrigerator...


I'm even planning on taking it to Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow to accompany my turkey.  Yes, it is that good!

1 comment:

  1. There's still a Guthrie's in Tuscaloosa. Right down the road from my house, actually!

    ReplyDelete