Friday, November 19, 2010

"best dinner ever"

A few nights ago, when discussing the menu plan for the week with my husband, I suggested shrimp.  We've been grilling shrimp recently on our new stove-top grill and they are yummy!  He suggested that I make a shrimp pasta, kind of like scampi.  I agreed, with one condition...."It'll have a LOT of garlic in it!"  Fine by him.  So, here is the dish that I threw together (literally, I did not measure anything) and got rave reviews from my family....even my 3 year old who usually just picks at his dinner most nights asked for seconds! 

Cajun Shrimp Pasta
16-20oz bag frozen, raw shrimp, peeled; thawed and tails removed
1Tbs (give or take) cajun seasoning blend (Chachere's, Emeril's, etc)
1 stick butter, divided
1 can chicken broth
1 Tbs flour
6 cloves (or more) fresh garlic, minced
1/4 medium onion, diced
1 cup (give or take) heavy cream
1/2 cup grated parmesan (I use fresh, but I am a parmesan "snob.")
12 oz (give or take) pasta (penne, linguine, etc)

Cook and drain pasta according to package directions.

Saute onion and garlic in 1/2 stick butter, over med-low heat until tender.  Do not let garlic turn brown.









Your kitchen will smell divine at this point.

Whisk the flour into chicken broth until dissolved.  Add to garlic and onions.  Increase temp to create simmer and stir occasionally. 



















After mixture has thickened, turn heat down to low, add cream and parmesan cheese.  Continue to stir occasionally.










In another skillet, melt remaining 1/2 stick butter.  Add raw shrimp and sprinkle generously with cajun seasoning.  Don't forget to remove the tails!


I prefer the "medium" shrimp (41-50 per pound) better than jumbo, but this was all Target had left.  For you couponers out there, Target shrimp is on sale this week and there is a printable Target coupon here. 










Tony is my friend.



Raw shrimp with spices.  Stir and flip shrimp over once they start to turn pink.











Shrimp will turn pink and curl up when done, about 3-5 minutes.

Add cream mixture to cooked shrimp.  If needed, continue to let simmer, until thickened.  Taste for seasoning and add more if needed.









Mine needed to simmer a little longer.  It did thicken after a few more minutes.

Toss cooked pasta with shrimp to coat and Enjoy!



*Chicken could easily be substituted for shrimp for those of you with shrimp allergies in the family.

During dinner the night I served this, my little girl declared it the "best dinner ever!"  Of course, that now ranks with her "best breakfast ever," pop tarts.  But hey, I'll take what I can get!

2 comments:

  1. Allison, a STICK of butter? No wonder it's the best ever! We're totally making that with chicken soon, since my poor husband cannot eat those lovely little shrimpies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had already printed the Target shrimp coupon with plans to make a yet-to-be-determined shrimp dish after Thanksgiving. This will be it!

    ReplyDelete