Monday, February 14, 2011

The Irony of it All

So, a few weeks ago, I started thinking (it happens sometimes), what did stay at home moms, like my own mom, do 20 years ago before the age of the internet, and more specifically, facebook, amazon and ebay?  I briefly discussed the idea with a friend and we discussed things like sewing, gardening and canning, cross-stitching, reading, daytime televison, not to mention that their houses were probably a lot cleaner than mine.

Then, literally, within just a day or two of that conversation, my computer crashed.  Now, we have (or had, until it crashed) a desktop computer....no laptop, blackberry, droid, ipad or any other fancy techno bells and whistles.  It served our purpose of providing email, news/weather updates, occasional online shopping, and up to date research on topics of intereset, as well as giving me an outlet to stay in touch with friends and family.  I have no need to be in constant wireless contact with the rest of the world while driving, shopping, eating dinner, etc.  However, facing 3 weeks without television, newspaper or internet, I realized I would soon find out  for myself how a stay at home mom can use her time without the distraction of computers.  I only visited my in-laws computer twice during the 3 week "break" from my internet connection and really did not miss it too much. 

Here is what I missed out on....friends' complaints about a new work week every Monday, friends' detailed weekend plans, where people were eating dinner, what movies people saw and their opinion of them, what my family in Louisiana was eating for dinner, pictures of my friends' kids being cute and funny, political debates, funny conversations between my friends and their spouses and/or children, easily looking up new recipes for dinner, finding the great sales/coupons on grocery deals each week and my two oldest competing for computer time. 

Here is what I gained....quality time playing games with my kids, taking long walks outside while my kids rode their bikes, reading to my 3 year old, going to bed earlier than 10pm (sometimes before 8!), and more time in God's word.

I'd say that I gained a lot more than I lost!

While technology is supposed to "save us time" in so many ways these days, I seemed to have more time to put to good use when I did not have access to my "time-saving" device.  I'm not advocating to put away the computer, but I have gained a new perspective on what's important.

Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind.  Romans 12:2

No comments:

Post a Comment